When booking flights to Echo Lake we suggest you use NorthWest Airlines.  Not all airlines will allow horns to travel with you.



Canadian Firearms Centre Website: 

Current Temperatures

In preparation for the fast approaching, fall hunting season, I have compiled some information to help you with your plans.  No forms needed for Archery.  Please remember that passports are absolutely necessary.  You will not be allowed across the border without one.

Hunting Licenses: These are provided by us to you in the form of a wildlife export permit at the end of your hunt for all the animals you might have collected.

Elk Guiding: Hunters will be with guides at all times.  Our guides are very experienced at scoring "in the field" and will try to get you to the top of your chosen category, however, if the trophy score is over the chosen category, the cost difference will be split between you and Echo Lake Hunts.

Trophies: Our primary goal is to get your expensive, irreplaceable skins and horns to you in excellent condition. All capes will be skinned off, cooled, and then frozen.  

Note: If you are driving up and are planning to haul back your trophies, bring along extra coolers for your frozen capes to keep them frozen. With proper export papers from us you will not encounter any problems at the border going home.

Alcohol: Excessive drinking will not be allowed for reasons including safety.

Clothing: Expect moderate Fall weather and bring medium warmth gear. We normally do not encounter extreme winter weather in September. We are never far from a shelter and will not be staying out for any great length of time. We are not bothered by bugs. A huntable rain suit might be handy in case we are caught in a shower.

Additional Animals: Elk is the primary objective on most hunts. We want each client to collect the Trophy Bull Elk of their choice and dreams. After the clients have their Elk they may desire to hunt for additional animals.

What You Can and Cannot Bring Into Canada

Most things you bring with you will be considered "personal baggage" by Canadian Customs officers.  These items include reasonable quantities of food, fishing tackle, cars, boats and motors, fuel, sports equipment, TV sets, musical instruments, computers and cameras.

Of course, there are going to be some exceptions.  The most important exception to the rule is a firearm.


Canadian Customs - All firearms brought into Canada will be inspected.  From a practical standpoint, this simply means somebody in the Canadian Customs area of the airport will open your gun case and physically look at your gun to ensure it is not loaded.

This is not a problem so long as you do not have a handgun of any type (strictly prohibited in Canada) or a fully-auto long gun (also prohibited).  You must declare any firearms you are bringing in.

The Canadian Customs officers will be recording the serial numbers on your guns when you enter Canada, and they will check them again when you exit Canada on the way home.  The reason is simply to ensure that the same firearms you came with go back with you to the U.S.

Canadian Customs is trying to curb the illegal importation of firearms into Canada, not infringe on your rights.

There will also be a fee required to buy a "Firearms Declaration" which is a temporary license or permit to take your gun in and out of Canada.

Important Information from Canadian Customs

Prescription Drugs

Prescription drugs normally present no problem going through Canadian Customs.  Clearly identify each drug and carry it in its original packaging with a label that specifies both what the drug is and that it is being used under the prescription of a doctor.

If the drug could cause question, it's a good idea to take your doctor's phone number with you just in case.  Diabetics bringing syringes with them should also carry evidence of their need.

Canadian Travel Information

Here are some interesting and helpful facts 
about travel in Canada:

  • 70% of all visitors to Canada cross the border by automobile.  
    Your American driver's license is valid in Canada, and local traffic laws are very similar to those in the U.S.A.

  • In addition to your driver's license, you should carry proof of insurance and proof of vehicle ownership.

  • Seat belt use in a moving vehicle is mandatory.

  • Possession of a radar detection device is legal in the Province of Saskatchewan.

  • Turn on your headlights on at all times, even during daylight.

  • Canada uses the metric system for weights and measurements.  
    A kilometer (km) is roughly six tenths (0.6) of a mile.

  • Fuel is sold in litres.  It takes 3.78 litres to make one U.S. gallon.

  • The metric system for drivers:  
    25 km = 15 miles, 
    40 km = 25 miles, 
    50 km = 30 miles, 
    60 km = 37 miles, 
    80 km = 50 miles, 
    100 km = 60 miles

  • If you're flying your own aircraft into Canada, you might want to call the Canada Map Office at 1-800-465-6277 to get the latest info on airports and Canada Customs services, plus updates on important information for pilots.

  • Most of our clients will enter Canada via a commercial airline flight.  Regardless of how you get there, there are certain requirements that must be met before they will allow you to pass through the Customs and Immigration area once you land in Canada.

  • The procedure is usually very simple and takes only a short time.  Having a valid and current passport is absolutely necessary.

  • Your Voter Registration card will also be helpful in establishing your permanent residence as a citizen of the United States.

Converting Imperial to Metric

To convert temperatures in Fahrenheit to Celsius, use the formula:

F = C(9/5) + 32

Example: 27 degrees Celsius = 80 degrees Fahrenheit (early to mid-September weather) 40 degrees Celsius = 104 degrees Fahrenheit (hot August weather)

U.S. Embassy

The address and phone number for the U.S. Embassy is:
100 Wellington Street
Ottawa, ON
K1P 5T1
(613) 238-5335



Please note: all prices are subject to 5% GST
All funds paid are transferable to the next season with 60 days notice of date of arrival.